We all experience it. We struggle with it, and often we try to avoid it, but the truth is that experiencing fear is a part of life. It is not a weakness.
Fear only gains power over us when we convince ourselves that we are alone, and that no one has ever felt as we do.
That is a lie. Here are 16 of the best quotes on overcoming fear from some of the greatest minds in the world. Always remember, there is nothing you are experiencing now in your life that someone else in the world has not experienced before. You are not alone.
1) The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. -Franklin D. Roosevelt
2) There is no illusion greater than fear. -Lao Tzu
3) If you are pained by external things, it is not they that disturb you, but your own judgement of them. And it is in your power to wipe out that judgement now. -Marcus Aurelius
4) If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles. –Sun Tzu
5) Have no fear of perfection – you’ll never reach it. -Salvador Dali
6) I like to do something I fear. -Heath Ledger
7) Thinking will not overcome fear but action will. -W. Clement Stone
8) Fear keeps us focused on the past or worried about the future. If we can acknowledge our fear, we can realize that right now we are okay. Right now, today, we are still alive, and our bodies are working marvellously. Our eyes can still see the beautiful sky. Our ears can still hear the voices of our loved ones. -Thich Nhat Hanh
9) To escape fear, you have to go through it, not around it. -Richie Norton
10) Sometimes, when we want something so badly, we fear failure more than we fear being without that thing. -Matthew J. Kirby
11) Men are not afraid of things, but of how they view them. -Epictetus
12) Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
13) If you want to catch your dreams, you have to drop your fears. -Anton Rubaclini
14) What is needed, rather than running away or controlling or suppressing or any other resistance, is understanding fear; that means, watch it, learn about it, come directly into contact with it. We are to learn about fear, not how to escape from it. -Jiddu Krishnamurti
15) Love is what we were born with. Fear is what we learned here. -Marianne Williamson
16) What is a fear of living? It’s being pre-eminently afraid of dying. It is not doing what you came here to do, out of timidity and spinelessness. The antidote is to take full responsibility for yourself – for the time you take up and the space you occupy. If you don’t know what you’re here to do, then just do some good. -Maya Angelou
Fear is only as powerful as you allow it to be. Take your power back.
What are some of your favourite quotes on overcoming fear? Share them with us in the comments below.