Alan Watts was an English philosopher, speaker and author who shared his wisdom through many books across many years after beginning a journey into Zen Buddhism in New York City in 1983.
Below are some his most inspiring words to inspire you.
13 Alan Watts quotes to inspire and uplift you.
1) The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance. – Alan Watts Quotes
2) But the attitude of faith is to let go, and become open to truth, whatever it might turn out to be. – Alan Watts Quotes
3) Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations. – Alan Watts Quotes
4) To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. When you swim you don’t grab hold of the water, because if you do you will sink and drown. Instead you relax, and float. – Alan Watts Quotes
5) I have realized that the past and future are real illusions; that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is. – Alan Watts Quotes
6) No work or love will flourish out of guilt, fear, or hollowness of heart, just as no valid plans for the future can be made by those who have no capacity for living now. – Alan Watts Quotes
7) How is it possible that a being with such sensitive jewels as the eyes, such enchanted musical instruments as the ears, and such fabulous arabesque of nerves as the brain can experience itself anything less than a god? – Alan Watts Quotes
8) You don’t look out there for God, something in the sky, you look in you. – Alan Watts Quotes
9) The meaning of life is just to be alive. It is so plain and so obvious and so simple. And yet, everybody rushes around in a great panic as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves. – Alan Watts
10) Through our eyes, the universe is perceiving itself. Through our ears, the universe is listening to its harmonies. We are the witnesses through which the universe becomes conscious of its glory, of its magnificence. – Alan Watts Quotes
11) Life is like music for its own sake. We are living in an eternal now, and when we listen to music we are not listening to the past, we are not listening to the future, we are listening to an expanded present. – Alan Watts Quotes
12) If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you’ll spend your life completely wasting your time. You’ll be doing things you don’t like doing in order to go on living, that is to go on doing thing you don’t like doing, which is stupid. – Alan Watts Quotes
13) The art of living… is neither careless drifting on the one hand nor fearful clinging to the past on the other. It consists in being sensitive to each moment, in regarding it as utterly new and unique, in having the mind open and wholly receptive. – Alan Watts Quotes
What are your favourite Alan Watts Quotes? Share them below.
I love the post. Thanks for sharing these thoughts. Very inspiring!
“…after beginning a journey into Zen Buddhism in New York City in 1983.”
Watts moved to New York City in 1938 to study Zen Buddhism. It looks like you transposed the “8” and the “3.”
Alan Watts died in 1973.