20 Famous Mahatma Gandhi Quotes on Peace, Courage, and Freedom
Once in a thousand years, a few great people walk the face of the earth and leave their mark forever. They make such an impact on humanity which is almost immeasurable my human standards.
Mahatma Gandhi was one of them. He made India an independent country without using any nuclear weapons, army, or malice.
There’s so much to learn from the man who showed the true value of simple living and high thinking.
Here are the most famous Mahatma Gandhi quotes to inspire you to greatness:
1. You must be the change you wish to see in the world. – Mahatma Gandhi
If you are not happy about anything in your world or society, be willing to change it within yourself first. Don’t complain. Complaining won’t take you anywhere. Nothing will change unless you change.
2. The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. – Mahatma Gandhi
It takes courage to forgive someone who has wronged you. Because we are often so caught up in our egos that forgiving seems like losing an egoistic battle. But sometimes you have to take the high road with forgiveness, both for the other person and for your own wellbeing.
3. Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. – Mahatma Gandhi
Happiness comes when you follow your own path. When you refuse to settle for others expectation of what you should and shouldn’t be doing, and instead live the life you know is right for YOU. When your actions in life back up your words, when you know inside you are living true to yourself, that is when you can’t be anything but happy. Happiness lies in integrity.
4. An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind. – Mahatma Gandhi
The world has grown tired of mass shootings and terrorism. What purpose do they serve? In the end, how will all terrorists die? With hate in their hearts. Among all famous Mahatma Gandhi quotes, this one stands out.
If you want to take revenge and feed your hate, you will never be satisfied. Only love can eradicate hate, not hate by itself.
5. Live as if you were to die tomorrow; learn as if you were to live forever. – Mahatma Gandhi
Living as if you were going to die tomorrow doesn’t mean you should be reckless, it means to LIVE FULLY today, because you are not guaranteed tomorrow. It means to give your all today. To LIVE today, how you want to be remembered tomorrow. At the same time, we should learn as if we were to live forever. To learn from not only our success but also our failures. To have the curiosity of a child and live with PASSION, as if every single thing we do makes a difference… it does.
6. First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. – Mahatma Gandhi Quotes
Ignore the haters because once you become successful, the joke will be on them. Out of all famous Mahatma Gandhi quotes, this one is real powerful as it shows why your haters don’t matter.
7. You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. – Mahatma Gandhi Quotes
Some people are ignorant, but don’t lose your patience because of them. Keep focused on your goals, be loyal to your friends and ignore everything else.
8. The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. – Mahatma Gandhi Quotes
Don’t be self-obsessed. In the end, every soul has a purpose to serve.
There’s Nothing More Powerful Than A Human Being With Purpose – Motivational Video:
9. Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. – Mahatma Gandhi Quotes
Strength comes when you stand your ground in the face of massive adversity. The size of your biceps doesn’t matter. What really matters is the size of your will.
10. A man is but the product of his thoughts; what he thinks, he becomes. – Mahatma Gandhi Quotes
If you think weakness, fear, failure; you will manifest it in your life. Think great, read great books, talk to strong-minded people and you will succeed.
11. The future depends on what you do today.
You create your own destiny. Be mindful of your actions.
12. The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.
You are capable of much more than you think. Leave your comfort zone. Among all famous Mahatma Gandhi quotes, this one shines because it tells us how we limit ourselves by living in our comfort zone.
13. It’s my conviction that nothing enduring can be built on violence.
Fighting is a sign of weakness. Great minds know we are here to play our part, serve others, and leave. Life is short, so don’t feed your anger, because only you will burn.
14. Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
Real creativity comes when people are free to make mistakes. When you are always supposed to do the right thing, the child in your dies.
15. Nobody can hurt me without my permission.
Let others hate you and talk behind your back. Their hate can’t affect you without your own consent. This is one of the best famous Mahatma Gandhi quotes ever.
16. I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
There are people who love to gossip, drink too much, are angry and anxious, and are too lazy to chase their goals. Don’t let these people infect your mind.
17. The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
An animal is a creation of nature and if you torture it or take advantage of it, you prove that you don’t respect creation. All life has equal value and you cannot decide if something else can live or die.
18. Change yourself – you are in control.
We often blame our circumstances for holding us back. But we always have the freedom to make a choice. Make a congruent decision and move forward; move past that barrier in your mind.
19. Without action, you aren’t going anywhere.
Everyone is able to contribute something great. But if you just sit back on your couch all day, you’re going to accomplish nothing. Among all famous Mahatma Gandhi quotes, this one is gold as it teaches us the value of a great work ethic.
20. A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
Some people think being cold and unemotional is courage. But real courage comes from accepting and expressing your emotions. Love people, be compassionate, that gives them courage and that makes YOU stronger.