19 Gary Vaynerchuk Quotes: Embrace the Hustle
Gary Vaynerchuk needs no introduction. He is the owner of VaynerMedia, speaker, and followed by millions of people on social media who seek his advice on entrepreneurship and business. After graduating from college, he took his father’s $3 million wine business and grew it to $60 million in sales within five years.
Gary Vaynerchuk is known for his blunt, no B.S. attitude towards life and business. He doesn’t like people who complain or give excuses and says that your ideas are sh** if you don’t execute.
Here are the 19 No B.S. Gary Vaynerchuk quotes to help you hustle hard and go beast mode.
1. Legacy is greater than currency.
It doesn’t matter if you’re rich or middle class. People will remember you for your impact on society and your impact on those close to you while you were alive. Your legacy will not be in the dollars you make, but the lives you change by becoming the greatest version of yourself.
2. Without hustle, your talent will only get you so far.
Everyone is gifted in some way or the other. It’s hard work that sets the champion apart from the mediocre. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don’t put it to use – it’s useless. On the other hand you may have little talent – but if you are prepared to put in the hours and do whatever it takes to succeed, you will find a way.
3. People are chasing cash, not happiness. When you chase money, you’re going to lose. You’re just going to. Even if you get the money, you’re not going to be happy. – Gary Vaynerchuk
Money doesn’t make us happy. What we do makes us happy. So find something to which you’re naturally drawn to and money will come naturally.
4. All your ideas may be solid or even good .. But you have to Actually EXECUTE on them for them to matter.
Facebook is worth over $500 billion today. But it wasn’t the first social networking website. MySpace already existed before Facebook. But Mark Zuckerberg really focused on user feedback to grow Facebook unlike top executives at MySpace. So his execution, rather than the idea, became the reason Facebook beat MySpace.
5. You have to understand your own personal DNA. Don’t do things because I do them or Steve Jobs or Mark Cuban tried it. You need to know your personal brand and stay true to it.
Gary Vaynerchuk often emphasizes self-awareness. You have to know what you are good at. What’s your one thing? Know your specific talents and MASTER them – because the world rewards expertise in a specific area.
6. Look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself, what do I want to do everyday for the rest of my life…do that.
Life is too short to do something you hate five days a week. How do you know what you should do? Go inside your heart. Don’t think. Just do. People try to find their talent by thinking and analysing and get stuck in analysis-paralysis. Instead, stop the thinking and start taking action. Life is like riding a bicycle, you have to take action and fail over and over until you figure it out.
7. I’m just always looking forward. I spend very little time, looking backward.
If you have to look backward, only look backward to see how far you’ve come. Always keep focused on your dreams and desires. Build focus through techniques like meditation. Focus is a virtue few people have and those are the ones who succeed.
8. Time – the one asset none of us are ever going to get more of.
Time is the most precious asset we all have. Squeeze as much as you can in thes 24 hours because one day there will be no more time left to do the things you had always wanted.
9. You are not patient enough. Your lack of patience is killing you and your need of things is killing you.
Life doesn’t change overnight. Small action taken every day will yield great results over a couple years and sometimes more than that. Kevin Hart faced rejection for 19 years before he became a top comedian. The great footballer, Lionel Messi, said, “it took me 17 years and 114 days to become an overnight success.”
10. There is never a bad time to start a business – unless you want to start a mediocre one. – Gary Vaynerchuk
There is never a bad time to follow your heart. Do it. Be it. Achieve it.
11. Your legacy is being written by yourself. Make the right decisions.
Whether we realize it or not, we are writing our story every day, through our choices and actions. A person of character knows that they have no control over external circumstances. But what really makes them unstoppable is the power of choice.
We have, in every situation, the power to choose how to move forward. So even if you’re facing really soul-breaking circumstances, you can take adaptive measures like spending time with positive people, doing exercise or yoga every day, and so on. Or you can consume alcohol, use drugs, and go the self-destructive path to numb the pain and make your life even more miserable.
12. If you live for the weekends and vacations, your sh*t is broken.
If you wait for the weekend so that you can finally start living, it only shows that you are not doing what you want. It means you need to do something you love, so that you don’t rely on vacations or weekends to escape.
13. Skills are cheap. Passion is priceless.
Everyone can learn painting to some level. But few can learn painting to the level of Picasso or Michelangelo. The difference lies in their passion for their craft.
14. It’s easy to dream about it, but much harder to execute it
Everyone wants to become a millionaire, have five supercars parked in their garage and a $20 million home next to Brad Pitt. But few are willing to put in the work. Now that may sound hard, but it also reveals a huge opportunity. Most people aren’t willing to work hard and show discipline. If you can, it will make all the difference.
15. A penguin cannot become a giraffe, so just be the best penguin you can be. – Gary Vaynerchuk
Be who you are. Don’t try to become an entrepreneur just because it’s the new trend. Focus on yourself.
16. Effort is grossly underrated.
We talk too much about talent and too less about effort. People who have reached the top always say that there is no secret to their success except an obsession. Their obsession makes them focus on their craft and improve every day.
17. You didn’t grow up driving…you figured it out.
Don’t try to find all the answers. It’s okay to not know everything and still take that leap of faith. That’s how you learned how to ride a bicycle, how to drive a car, and that’s how you learn how to succeed.
18. Brand storytelling is not about pushing advertising, it’s about bringing value. – Gary Vaynerchuk
As Elon Musk says, people should focus on signal over noise. Advertising doesn’t make the product better, so don’t spend too much money on it. Tesla never spent any money on advertising.
19. You must choose an area where you can win. No, scratch that. Not just win, but absolutely dominate. After all, don’t we have enough mediocre podcasts around?
We live in a world where mediocrity is often rewarded. There are jobs to keep you just above water. If you really want to achieve greatness, you need to have a monomaniacal focus. And for that, you need to find your one thing.