Lacking Motivation? This Might Be The Reason & It Might Surprise You
Each one of us has one those days in life where we just don’t feel like doing anything. Simple tasks such as getting out of bed seem impossible. You don’t have that drive, you may be lacking motivation for greatness, lacking the will to achieve your goals. In that moment of your life you just feel indifferent, those goals suddenly don’t seem important to you. From there on, everything just goes to worse. Your income goes down, you’re unhappy with your relationship and your physical condition and mood take a major hit as well.
Could Your Lack Of Motivation Be Down To Testosterone Levels?
Now there are several reasons for that ugly disappearance of your motivation. If you’re a man it’s most probably due to low testosterone levels. There are so many things that can lower your testosterone levels without you even knowing. Stress is one of the worst things for your testosterone levels, but also for your general well-being. Then there is alcohol and other drugs which also heavily decrease testosterone. Also things like junk food, sugar, soy or a low fat diet can mess up your testosterone tank.
Testosterone for men is almost like petrol for a car or jet fuel for an airplane. So if you’re not tanked up with testosterone, you won’t even be able to make the first step towards your goals.
Alright, I want you to go back in time and think of one of the biggest success or win of your life. Maybe the day you finished college, or an important sports match that you won or maybe even a hot chick that you were able to get with. Just anything that made you feel alive and happy. When you go back to that moment, I want you to think about your confidence, your energy levels, your sex drive and your hunger to achieve more moments like that. Pretty much all of those were near their maximum right? That’s because success boosts testosterone, and testosterone will boost your hunger for more, you will increase your motivation.
A paper released in 1999 by Schultheiss et al, took 42 men and had them imagine success in a power contest and measured their testosterone levels before and after. Note, they didn’t even do anything really, they only IMAGINED winning a contest. Their results suggested elevated testosterone levels after imagining a success in a subsequent dominance contest.
The same was observed in a another study where researchers measured testosterone levels in fans of two rival football teams. Their result? Increased testosterone in fans of the winning team!
That is not all though! Schaal et al studied social dominance in boys from age 6 to 13 years by measuring their testosterone levels. Social dominance was studied by taking the boys for a 1 day visit to a laboratory with four unfamiliar peers. Their conclusion was that testosterone levels were positively associated with social success.
As you can see, success is associated with high testosterone levels. Boosting your testosterone levels will not only increase your motivation, but ultimately also your success.
But apart from imagining success and see our team win trophies, what else can we do in order to boost testosterone levels?
Here are 10 simple tips that will help you with your T levels, your motivation and your success:
- Consume enough dietary fat. 40% of your calories should be filled with good fats. Your hormone system needs fat in order to produce its hormones, so if you don’t consume enough, no testosterone will be made! Don’t worry about getting fat by ingesting more fat. It’s all about calories IN versus calories OUT, meaning you only put on weight when you actually eat MORE than you burn.
- Eat less protein and more carbohydrates. I’m telling you the exact opposite of what everyone else on the internet says right? Science suggests that testosterone raises by reducing protein intake and increasing fat and carb intake. Furthermore, the more testosterone you produce, the more muscles you will pack on.
- Relax! Stress is one of the worst things that can happen to our body. See, there are two types of stress: The good type that comes up when we are working at something that we love and then there is the bad stress that makes us hate our life. It’s the bad stress that we need to avoid as it raises cortisol which in turn reduces testosterone levels.
- Improve your sleep quality and sleep between 7 to 8 hours per night. Us humans need sleep to recover and to rebuild energy for the next day. If you don’t sleep enough and you wake up like a zombie, testosterone and motivation will be at its lowest. You need to wake up refreshed to be able to crush your goals.
- Express male body language! This includes standing straight, looking people in the eye and walking slowly. By doing this, you will not only increase your T levels, but you will also gain social dominance and self-confidence!
- Don’t fake it til you make it, fake it til you become it. You need to become a winner in your head if you want to become one in real life. You know, it all starts in the head. Imagine yourself being a boss, being successful and achieving your goals! A great and easy way to obtain higher testosterone levels and to be more motivated.
- Start taking cold showers. It takes a real man to jump into cold water. This works especially in the morning when you really don’t feel like getting out of bed. By showering with cold water you will have to get out of your comfort zone and you become more decisive. You will obtain that “I don’t give a crap, I’ll just do it” attitude that you need to lose your fear and achieve your goals.
- Start lifting heavy weights. You will become stronger, you will look better and you will feel better. By working out, your testosterone levels will go through the roof which will help you to achieve even better results in the gym.
- Start losing weight! Working out in the gym is a great way to lose weight. You need to be a winner not only mentally but also physically, which is why it’s so important to work on our body. Looking like crap in the mirror but thinking you’re a winner just doesn’t work together. You need to think, see and feel yourself as a winner to really be able to achieve your goals.
- Reduce your cardio sessions to 1 or 2 times per week. Yes, it will make you lose fat, but it also significantly reduces your testosterone levels and muscle mass. If you can, try HIIT (high intensity interval training) as it helps you build more muscle and lose fat!
If you’re lacking motivation, one of the reasons could be low testosterone levels. Successful men usually have above normal testosterone levels. That’s because success raises T levels. We’re not talking about making a million dollars in one year. It can be a small success like achieving a personal record in the gym or even just imagining that you’re successful. High testosterone levels improve your mood, your self-confidence, your social dominance and your hunger for success. So if you’re feeling down lately, why don’t you start working on improving your hormone levels as that could be the cure for all your procrastination.