16 Extraordinary Robin Williams Quotes: Stop Taking Life Too Seriously
Robin Williams was a legendary stand-up comedian and actor and is best known for his roles in movies like Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting. Williams struggled with depression all his life and it was perhaps this sadness that inspired him to make other people laugh. While his life is a reminder that you must take care of your inner self and happiness first, he also brought great joy and wisdom to this world and that will never be forgotten.
Here are the most inspiring Robin Williams quotes that’ll inspire you to take life less seriously.
1. You’re only given a little spark of madness. You mustn’t lose it.
It is easy to be negative in this world. But few people realize that being light-hearted and childlike is not just a choice, but necessary to a healthy life.
2. We don’t read and write poetry because it’s cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.
Life is too short to do things you hate. Tap into the passion that oozes out of your soul. For people like David Goggins, it means going for a 10-mile run. And for others, it means creating extraordinary art. Find what stirs your soul.
3. Spring is nature’s way of saying, ‘Let’s party!’
Each cycle of nature brings its own lessons. The winter is a time for introspection and renewal, autumn is a time for letting go of what doesn’t serve us anymore, summer is a time of wholehearted action, expressing joy and spring is a time of exploding with new life!
4. Reality is just a crutch for people who can’t cope with drugs.
The lesson here is that reality is hard. As Matthew McConaughey said, don’t pretend that life is easy, it’s tough. Either you can endure the pain with self-discipline or you can cover that pain with drugs.
5. You will have bad times, but they will always wake you up to the stuff you weren’t paying attention to.
After every dark night, there is a brighter day. As Tony Robbins says, bad times and problems call us to a higher level. They help us grow into a better and stronger person. This is one of our favorite Robin Williams quotes because it inspires people to become stronger.
6. No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change this world. -Dead Poets Society
Great leaders have always used words to influence millions of people. Think about Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King, Mahatma Gandhi. Words when used right can change people’s lives.
7. Never pick a fight with an ugly person, they’ve got nothing to lose.
If someone is ugly on the inside, it is only their nature to be unpleasant. So don’t worry about the toxic people in your lives. Don’t lose your cool, your goodness, because of them.
8. If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
Robin Williams would never stop making people laugh. However demanding life gets, never lose your humor. Never be feverish about success, everything falls into its place.
9. But only in their dreams can men be truly free. It was always thus and always thus will be. -Dead Poets Society
Reality is hard. Only when we are living our dreams, we become truly free. So dare to dream and more importantly, don’t be a talker, be a doer.
10. You have this idea that you’d better keep working otherwise people will forget. And that was dangerous. And then you realize, no, actually if you take a break people might be more interested in you.
You don’t attract people’s attention by following the rules. You catch their attention when you break the rules.
11. Cocaine is God’s way of telling you you are making too much money.
Cocaine keeps you “high” but it cannot fulfill you. You keep wanting more and more. You have to accept the challenges life throws at you because you can only hide for so long. This is one of the most brilliant Robin Williams quotes ever.
12. Comedy is acting out optimism.
Comedians find humor in the most mundane of things and make people laugh. They are just acting out optimism by seeing everything from a funny side.
13. I always thought the idea of education was to learn to think for yourself. – Robin Williams Quotes
There is a difference between training and education. The current education system trains people to conform to external rules. Real education brings freedom and fulfillment, it shows people how to live and prosper in life.
14. The world is open for play, everything and everybody is mockable in a wonderful way.
If you wear the lens of humor on your eyes, you’ll find that everything and everyone is mockable. There’s nothing to be serious about. That’s why you should keep your humor even when the going gets really tough.
15. “You know, as we come to the end of this phase of our life, we find ourselves trying to remember the good times and trying to forget the bad times, and we find ourselves thinking about the future. We start to worry, thinking, ‘What am I gonna do? Where am I gonna be in ten years?’ But I say to you, ‘Hey, look at me!’ Please, don’t worry so much. Because in the end, none of us have very long on this Earth. Life is fleeting. And if you’re ever distressed, cast your eyes to the summer sky when the stars are strung across the velvety night. And when a shooting star streaks through the blackness, turning night into day… make a wish and think of me. Make your life spectacular. I know I did.” — Jack Powell
Life is like a story and you are given limited time to write. There is no use worrying about what happens next because you are the author of your own story and time is going to end anyway.
16. You know what music is? God’s little reminder that there’s something else besides us in this universe, harmonic connection between all living beings, everywhere, even the stars.
Music shows us that we are all one. Although we may have our differences, we still dance to the same tunes. It is a great reminder that the world is too large and abundant to be focused on our little problems.